Saturday, November 28, 2009

Reading Time

Keeley really, really loves to read. In fact, some days I'm not sure she does anything but read after she gets home from school. Before naps and before bed each night we read several books. Usually we go through little stints of reading the same 5 books each time before we cycle to another set of books. When she was younger and the books were simpler, reading the same books for several nights in a row was very tiresome. Now, however, it is tolerable until she fixates on something - having to show me the lady bug's eyes that are closed, or a butterfly, etc. on the same page EVERY time. We went through a phase recently where she kept saying "you skipped a page" when we turned past the title page without reading. Kelly taught her what that page was and now she will tell you "that's the title page, we don't have to read it." Very cute and very matter of fact.

Last night, she and I were reading "Bedtime for Button" for the millionth time this month. Toward the end, the line in the book said "he fell fast asleep." I was tired and I missed the word "fast" and simply said "he fell asleep." Keeley took her paci out, looked up at me and said "fast, it says fast". How did she remember that? And why did she care?!!!

I will readily admit that I used to skip pages in books to hurry things along and sometimes I would even paraphrase the pages if I didn't want to read the whole thing. That clearly doesn't work anymore!

1 comment:

  1. Whilst it can be annoying, at least she's hooked on Yoohoo or the Apple juice! :)

    ReplyDelete