Monday, February 7, 2011

Child Proofing

We've done our best, as I'm sure most parents have, to child proof the house.  So far it has worked (with the notable exception of the electric shock Kayden gave herself....).  We have those "child proof" locks on the doors we don't want them opening - front door, toy closet, pantry - and for the most part they haven't messed with trying to break them yet.  They know that they come apart and I know it is just a matter of time until they get them all cracked off, but they haven't done that yet.  Sunday morning I was surprised by something else they managed to get open. 

I was sitting in the computer room and Kelly was in the shower, so I thought.  All of the sudden I heard the refrigerator door open and thought it weird.  Then I heard Kayden say, "I got it, Keeley."  I walked in there and saw a green kid's chair in front of the refrigerator door but no kids.  Immediately I figured they were in Keeley's room so I went there and asked what they had gotten out of the fridge.  Kayden looks at me with a mouthful of the treat I told them they couldn't have until after church and one in her hand and says, "I got three."  Keeley, whose head had been down with her hands behind her back, looks up and says, "I didn't really do it.  Kayden got them."  The treats they wanted were on the top shelf so I guess Kayden figured she needed the chair to get high enough to reach them.

Do other people's 2.5 and 3.5 year olds conspire to get things they aren't allowed and then try to blame the other one?  And do they make locks for the refrigerator?  Clearly, the goodies they want are not in the pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment