Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mother's Day Out

Keeley started Mother's Day Out on Monday. She is only going 1 day a week and it is from 9:15-2:15. They get to do all sorts of fun things. The day begins with a ride outside in the "bye bye buggy" and movement class in the gym. After movement class, they have some free play, art, and the "lesson of the day". Lunch with music follows their lesson and then they are supposed to take naps. When they wake up from nap time, they eat a snack and come home. It sounded like fun to me. There are 7 kiddos in Keeley's class and 2 teachers. Here's an update on how things are going so far....

Meet the teacher was last week. We attended and Keeley had so much fun. This is exceptionally impressive considering we left the house at 6:20 for a meeting at work and went straight to meet the teacher at 10. She was a little unsure as we walked in the room but very quickly wanted down to go explore by herself. I took this as a very good sign.

Looking at me in the slide as if to ask why I'm bothering to stop her play for a picture.


Hoarding her toys just like at home.

We talked a lot about what was going to happen and her teachers. They had given us a schedule so I started prepping Keeley right away. She's always been slow to warm up to change and I wanted the best possible situation. All weekend we talked about it. Monday morning we talked about it a lot before we left.

Here she is with her tiny backpack and lunch box. Her lunch box is too big for the tiny backpack!


When we arrived at the school, lots of other kids were arriving as well. I got out of the car and put Kayden in the wrap. Then I went and grabbed Keeley and all her gear. We talked about all the kids and how excited they were and how they all had backpacks and lunch boxes too. We talked about how she was going to stay all by herself today.

When we got to the room, the lead teacher informed me that the other teacher's daughter was sick and the substitute for the day would be the movement teacher. I internally panicked a bit because Keeley didn't know her. However, the movement teacher came in and immediately sat on the floor with the kids so I thought we'd be okay.
Keeley wanted down right away. Here she is checking out a new arrival to the class.


Saying hi to Ms. Lisa

Everything was great and I was very encouraged. I moved toward the door and said "bye Keeley, I'll be back later. Have fun. I love you." INSTANT tears, panic to get to the door and "mama mama mama". Fortunately for me, she has this reaction when I leave all the time so it didn't phase me too badly. I went around the corner and the teacher said they'd call me if she didn't settle down but they thought she'd be fine.

I was able to not call until 10:45. At 10:45 they told me that she'd cried for 15 minutes or so but had calmed down a bit. She still looked sad however. They said that I could call as much as I wanted but that they would call if she got really upset again. Kayden and I enjoyed the day as much as we could while I jumped every time the phone rang.

I never got a call. We arrived to pick Keeley up and she was sitting at the table eating a snack after her non-nap time (who are we kidding, she's not going to nap there). She looked very sad. She started crying and trying to get out instantly. It took about 5 minutes for me to calm her down. The whole rest of the day was not good. Lots and lots of crying. I'm not even sure she let Kelly hold her at all.

So, I figured we should try to visit a lot this week and talk about it a lot. We went up there today and she was mad I wouldn't let her in the bye bye buggy or go into her room. When we got home, she got her lunch box, back pack, and daily folder. When I asked her where she was going she said "bye bye". I asked if that meant she was going to school and she said yes.

Trying to go to school...no pants.

So, we'll see how next week goes. Be thinking about us Monday morning! Oh, it is interesting to note that Kayden is just happy as can be through everything and everyone comments about how smiley she is. Also, Keeley loved on Kayden a lot on the way to the car after her traumatic first day. Sister love is so sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I bet the sign on the door only says no shirt, no shoes, no service! Pants are totally optional!

    ReplyDelete