Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thumb sucking tummy sleeper

Keeley is going to be quite disappointed that she has not passed on the great pacifier love to Kayden. Little sister will take a pacifier if she's in the mood, but she much prefers her thumb. She's been working on her hand for quite some time and has finally figured out how to get the thumb in her mouth. Now, in all fairness, Kayden doesn't need the pacifier like Keeley did (and still does).

I have very mixed feelings about the thumb sucking. Pacifiers can be taken away, thumbs can't. I thought it would be better that she preferred her thumb because it would prevent the crying when the pacifier can't be found in the middle of the night (Keeley still has 3-5 pacifiers in her crib at all times because I am afraid of that....). However, as soon as she learned to roll to her tummy, she lost the ability to get her thumb into her mouth like she wants and she gets mad too. Fortunately, at least we get a solid stretch of sleep before it starts!

I can hear you now, "she shouldn't be sleeping on her tummy, she's too young." You are right but I can't stop it. I just have tummy sleepers. I always lay them down on their backs (still do with Keeley even), but they just flip right over. I can't stop them. I just keep thinking that they are strong enough to roll so it is probably okay if they flip over. It made me feel better though when Keeley mastered rolling from her tummy to her back. If Kayden can hurry up and do that, I'd sleep a little more peace of mind.

1 comment:

  1. Thumb sucking is rough. Like you said, you can't take it away. *sigh* I think my mom may have tried a few times! :)

    ReplyDelete