Sunday, October 3, 2010

Picture of God

The other night I was reading one of our books about pregnancy loss with the girls before bed. Keeley was telling me again that she was upset that she "never even got to see Kendrick". I told her that Kelly and I would try to find a picture. (We have pictures of him that our great photographer Kim came and took at the hospital, but I honestly thought that they would be a little unsettling to a 3 year old).

When I told Keeley that I'd try to find a picture, Kayden said, "of God?" (we had been talking about Kendrick being in Heaven with God.) I said, "No, no one knows what God looks like. I'm going to get a picture of Kendrick for Keeley."

Kayden responded with, "I do. God is white."

I'll readily admit I was beyond shocked. We don't read books where God is portrayed as white. The girls don't go to Sunday School. And the sermons at church, if the girls are even listening, certainly don't describe God as white. When she said that, I immediately thought white like light because she is too young to describe skin color. All this is running through my head so I decide to ask, "Kayden, do you talk to God?"

She looks at me in all seriousness, and with a little bit of annoyance and say, "No, Mom. God doesn't have a mouth. He is just white."

I still haven't decided if I am comforted that she has seen God or concerned that I won't get to keep her long, but it is an exchange with her that I'm likely to never forget.

isn't that bizarre?
8:20 PM then, during our prayers, keeley said to ask God when they would die
when i talked to her about that she said "if we die before you, you can see us in heaven later and be really, really happy

No comments:

Post a Comment