Sunday, October 3, 2010

Weddings

Little girls are portrayed as being obsessed with weddings and brides. I've always wondered how that started at when that started. For us, apparently, it starts at 3. Keeley has been very concerned with figuring out family relationships lately, both immediate family and extended family (for example: she'll point out that Oma is my mom). The other day she asked why Kelly was my husband and I told him it was because I loved him very much.

Later she told me that she loved him very much and wanted to marry him. I told her that was really sweet but that Daddy was already taken and that she would have to choose someone else when she got older. She said, "but I really love Daddy. But, maybe he's too tall. I'll need to find someone smaller." I told her that she could find someone closer to her age and she said, "How do I choose?" This was turning into quite a level of worry for her. I assured her that she had years before she had to worry about choosing a husband and that she could pick one from her class or one of her friends when she was older. She asked if I would help her choose someone like Daddy.

A few days later we pull up to a park. As the girls are getting out, Keeley said, "I don't know how to choose." I asked what she was talking about since we had not been discussing anything that involved choosing. She gave me an exasperated sigh and said, "How to choose a husband. Well, maybe Nicholas. I like Nicholas." Then she hopped out of the car and went to play.

When we were getting back into the car that same day, she said, "No, I'm going to marry Wesley because I love Wesley." Kayden quickly said, "and I'm going to marry Lucas because I love Lucas" (Wesley's younger brother).

Then, yesterday morning, the first things she said to me was, "Wesley is going to be my husband." I wonder if she has informed Wesley of these plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment