Monday, April 16, 2012

Practice

When I went to my conference with Kayden's teachers back in October they mentioned their only big concern was that Kayden didn't like to continue to practice works once she had completed them.  She appeared to feel as though if she were able to complete it once, she should move on to the next work.  In montessori it is not acceptable to simply "finish" a work, they really want the kids to master them.  This has been a struggle for Kayden because that is not her personality to begin with and she is racing so fast to catch up to her sister and all the works that Keeley can do.


This past Thursday she got in the car and told me that she finished her last sounds.  She was so excited because the next work would be moveable alphabet which is a spelling work and prep for reading.  The following day we were talking about it and I asked if she'd had time to start her moveable alphabet or if she was too busy (Fridays are really busy with music and chapel).  She looked at me, gave me a sigh with an exasperated expression and said, "Mom, Ms. Stevens said that I have to practice the sounds to make sure I remember them before I can do my moveable alphabet.  (enter annnoyed look) I have to practice."  Cracked me up.  I will have you know that she must have practiced though because she came home telling me she started moveable alphabet today!


Look out world, Kayden is one determined kid.  Once she sets her mind on something there is absolutely no stopping her.

No comments:

Post a Comment