Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Communication Issues

I am thrilled that Keeley can communicate as much as she can. She can now sign, gesture, or say the following: dog, out, dada, milk, more (which also means "eat" frequently), feet/shoes/socks/toes (giving you her foot), up, tummy, and head/hat/hair/hers (patting her head). This has significantly cut down on the amount of random crying we had before. I am happy for that. And, for those of you that are wondering, she can say "mama" now but doesn't really do so unless she is repeating what someone else has said. Her way of communicating that she wants me is to stand at my feet with her hands held high and cry with her head WAY back (otherwise she can't see me because my tummy gets in the way).

I'm discovering, however, that it can still be frustrating for both of us since the communication is fairly limited so far. Sometimes, those "wants" are not able to be met. But she has no way to understand that really. Today her "schedule" (and I use that term incredibly loosely) was messed up because she was awake from 4am - 5am and then I had to wake her up for a meeting at 6. She didn't eat much because she was distracted trying to eat at the meeting and was too interested in playing when she got home. This meant the entire time we were at Little Gym, she followed me around and signed for "milk". I finally gave up, cut class short, and came home.

I pull up to my house to discover a man spreading fertilizer next door and completely blocking my driveway with his truck + trailer. I rolled my window down and said "excuse me" and "hey" to the man that was less than 15 feet away. He either couldn't hear me or was ignoring me because I finally had to honk. He turned around and this is our conversation:

Me: pointing to my house "That's my house"
Him: looking at his truck blocking my entrance "I'm sorry. I was just going to spread this really quickly"
Me: "I'm not going to sit in the street while you fertilize their lawn"
Him: turning around with sigh and shrug "What I meant I guess was that it was unfortunate timing"
Me: staring at him in disbelief
Him: "I'll move my truck now"

Really!??! Was all that conversation necessary? Shouldn't he have just apologized and IMMEDIATELY moved his truck so that there was not a pregnant lady with a one year old stuck in her car in the street. Okay, okay. I realize he didn't know I was pregnant and probably couldn't see Keeley - but STILL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment