Friday, April 4, 2008

First Adolescence

Just last night I was reading about what to expect during Keeley's second year of life. The book referred to this as her "first adolescence" as she will go back and forth between asserting her independence and wanting to be our baby. Some of that was witnessed today. When Kelly got home from work and we finished dinner, Keeley wanted to go outside. It wasn't really time to go outside - it was time to get ready for bed.

We tried to tell her this and get her settled in my lap for her bedtime milk (part of our routine). This was met with INSTANT tears and crying and pushing away of the milk. She squirmed out of what was left of my lap and said "out" and proceeded to leave her room. After being dragged to the front and back doors a couple of times, we finally relented. After all, it wasn't really late yet and Kelly hadn't even been home for an hour yet. Plus, it is just hard to look at that little face asking for "more" and saying "out" and not give in.

We went out to play for a few minutes with the dogs. When we came back in, we told Keeley we were going to start getting ready for bed. She came in and even sat in my lap, but the minute we turned the light on, it all started again. This time, there was severe flailing as I tried to get her undressed for her bath. She made a quick breakaway but we managed to coral her in the bathroom. She played in the bath for awhile and then stood up and gave me a very sweet, very wet hug where she laid her head on my shoulder and looked right at Kelly. We asked if it was time for bath time to be over.

Clearly, that was not what she wanted to hear. Again, instant crying and flailing as Kelly picked her up to dry her off. She also managed to make her 20 pounds seem like 40. As soon as we put her down to get her dressed, the kicking started. Once dressed and in my arms for our books and songs she calmed down (thankfully).

Man oh man what are we in for? I thought tantrums started in the twos, the "terrible twos". We aren't there yet!!

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I, too, have been shocked that the tantrums have already started. I've already seen to many foot stomping, fists flying, and arms flailing moments from Hunter.

    ReplyDelete