Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mommy skills

I'm having to fine tune many of my mommy skills lately:

* Mommy muscles - Kayden's reflux has been acting up so she's been in the moby wrap more than usual. She is happy upright and we are all happy when she isn't crying. Keeley is going through a bit of a cuddly phase and wants to be carried the majority of everyday. So, for most of every day, I have one baby on the front and one on my hip. Cleaning the house and shopping like this must burn extra calories right?

* Mommy patience - Our once happy, smiley baby has become very unhappy. We are going to the doctor on Thursday to make sure it is just reflux. It is becoming increasingly difficult to put her down at night (almost 2 hours before we could lay her down without crying last night). When I say "put her down" I don't even mean before she goes to sleep, I just mean until we can lay her down. Also, instead of sleeping for 6-9 hours that first stretch, we make it about 2 and then there is crying again. I know that this too shall pass, however, spending 3 nights in a row on the floor in her room is getting a little old!

* Mommy creativity - Trying to quietly entertain Keeley while getting Kayden to sleep in her own crib is proving to be a bit of a challenge! As will be the doctor visit on Thursday...Thankfully, she's really into reading again and books are small and quiet! Plus, I can hold her and a book on my hip easily.

* Mommy vigilance - Keeley is a monkey. There is just no other way to describe her. Some of her latest climbing escapades:

- In the bathroom - both hands in the sink, both feet flat against the cabinet doors trying desperately to pull herself up to her toothbrush
- In the living room - climbing onto the couch and then onto the pillow behind me while I'm nursing and can't really do much about it
- In Kayden's room - taking advantage of the drop side being down, trying to climb into the crib; when that didn't work, she climbed on the little table next to the crib and attempted to hike her leg up over the crib
- At the doctor's office - while I was changing Kayden's diaper, Keeley used the kids chair to climb onto the adult chair and then on to the exam table

In addition to her climbing escapades, she's also just figured out how to undo our "childproof" cabinet locks. Good times ahead at the Culhane house!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the cabinet locks! She's a pretty smart little cookie! And yes, carrying 30+ pounds with you all day is bound to help strengthen EVERY part of you...including your patience! :)

    ReplyDelete