Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Creative thinker

Kayden has been potty trained for several months now.  We rarely have accidents, but we also frequently suggest she go to the bathroom.  At school they are trying to teach the kids body awareness and they don't suggest as often as we do at home. As a result, she has an accident almost every day at school.  They never say anything to me.  She comes bouncing out of school all smiles in play clothes instead of her uniform, hands me her bag, and says, "I had a tinkle accident.  My clothes are in there."  I wash the clothes, send them back, and the entire cycle repeats.

Yesterday at pick-up, the lead teacher walked her out instead of the other teacher.  She said, "Kayden's clothes are in her bag."  and then she paused.  I was afraid she was going to say that this was becoming a problem or that we needed to have a meeting to discuss solutions.  But, instead, she said, "I'm not entirely sure they are wet.  She told me they were as she was sitting on the potty and I don't like to second guess the kids right in front of them." another long pause...."but, I think she may just like to change clothes at school."

Yes, that would be my child.  That is exactly what she is doing.  She tires of her uniform and thinks it is fun to go to her cubby and get out play clothes to wear instead.   I'm sure it only took a few times to realize the teachers just take her word for it.  Since they have the kids help clean up any accidents, I'm sure she puts her own clothes back in the bag to send home.  Too smart.  I'm beginning to think we are going to have a very, very hard time staying ahead of this one as she gets older!!

1 comment: