Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Calendar

Last summer I scheduled a million activities for the girls.  I thought to help them (and me!) keep it all straight I should make a calendar that we could all look at to see where we were in each day and the week and what was left for us to do.  With some brainstorming with my mom, we got it all together.  We loved it all summer and I put it away when school started because our "schedule" was pretty much the same.  While I realized the girls would enjoy it this summer, I wasn't up to tackling the maintenance and taking care of a newborn so I never got it out.  Because we are busting at the seams at the house now that we have no spare room to catch all the "stuff" that you accumulate in 8.5 years of marriage and with 3 kids, our study is currently holding a lot of things - one of them being the calendar.

This weekend the girls found the calendar and were so excited.  They pulled it out and promptly started filling it up with the activities. 


I told the girls when they were preparing the calendar that we had a playdate scheduled for Monday morning so they found the playdate picture.  When they woke up on Monday, I had to tell them the playdate was cancelled because the other kiddo had a cold.  Keeley's response was "well, we'll just have someone else over.  How about Oma?"  She was none too pleased when I told her that Oma was busy too and could not just pop right on over.

One of the activities they have for Tuesday afternoon is this....


It is a picture of my grandparents who live in Houston.

When we reviewed the "schedule" they had created for the week, I told the girls that we probably were not going to be able to go see Grossmama on Tuesday because Houston is really far away.  Keeley's response?  "We'll watch a movie in the car."  I just shook my head.  She then later told Kelly the same thing.  I again reminded her that it was really far away and she again said "We'll watch a movie."

Yesterday (Monday afternoon), I was working out with my trainer and she noticed the calendar on the girl's table.  She asked Keeley about it and Keeley said, "and tomorrow we're going to see Grossmama and Grosspapa.  Well, not Grosspapa because he died."  I promptly interrupted and said, "and, Keeley, remember we probably aren't going to go to Houston because it is really far away."  I swear to you she looked at me like I was crazy and said in the most matter-of-fact or Mom-doesn't-know-anything-voice, "we're going to watch a movie."  I told her I understood that we watch movies on the way to Houston but I still didn't think we'd be able to go.  She turned to me and said, "but it is on the calendar."  I, again, just shook my head and tried really hard not to say, "Four year olds don't make the schedule by themselves!  It is only on the calendar because you put it there!" 

The girls are currently napping.  We'll see what happens when they wake up.  I'm sure they will inform me it is time to go to Houston. I've already warned Grossmama...

No comments:

Post a Comment