Thursday, July 28, 2011

Master Negotiater

So the saga continues with this calendar issue.  Tuesday evening Keeley was upset because her light pink leotard was not clean.  I saw her dark purple one hanging up on the side of some of her furniture and told her she could just wear that one.  She told me she was saving it to wear to Oma's.  I asked when we were going to Oma's and she responded, "tomorrow."  For some reason I thought she might actually forget when Wednesday morning rolled around.  I was so wrong.  She came into my room as soon as her light turned yellow on her clock (I was still sleeping as it was only 6:30) and this was our exchange:

Keeley: "Someone (very accusing and irritated tone) put my purple leotard in the hamper last night"
Me: thinking this is not how I want to start the day "Okay.  Why is that a problem?  You already have other clothes on."
Keeley: "because we are going to Oma's today" (tone: Mom-you don't-know-anything)
Me: "Okay.  Give me a minute."

I get up and we go in the living room where I proceed to tell her that I don't know if we can go to Oma's but that I will send her a text to see if that is okay or not.  It is still not 7am so I certainly don't want to call.  Oma said she would be working at school a little and then had dinner plans.  I could have made it work, but it would have required rescheduling somethings on my calendar (the real calendar) to get us there when she was there so she could watch brother while we went swimming.  That is when this exchange occured:

Me: "Oma says she won't be home a lot today so we probably should go a different day."
Keeley: "Why won't she be home?"
Me: "She has to work and then she has dinner plans."
Keeley: "But did she say no?"
Me: "Well, no, but she won't be there."
Keeley: "But did she say no?"
Me: thinking it is way too early for me to be working this hard at a 4 year old conversation "No"
Keeley: "Because one time we went over there and she wasn't there but we still got to go and went swimming."
Me: "Keeley, we'll go tomorrow.  She'll be home and it will work out much better.  Right now I think that you and me and Kayden need to get my calendar and we can fill in the girls' calendar with things that we have scheduled already." 

We then spent the next 20 minutes filling in the rest of the week.  Perhaps we will not have conversations like this every day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment