Saturday, July 30, 2011

Little Humanitarian, and her sister

Keeley is still a vegetarian (although she did ask for and eat some of a ham sandwich the other day and even said she liked it) and will tell you she does not eat meat, but that her sister does.  Apparently, this need to protect animals extends to bugs as well.  The other day there was a bug on the floor in our house and she shrieked for me.  I went over, got a tissue, and picked it up while squishing it.  She quickly exclaimed, "HEY!  He was crawling!  You should have put him outside!!!"  I told her I probably should have but that he was already dead so I was going to put him in the trash.


We went to Mom's to swim on Thursday.  As I was about to step into the shallow part I noticed a june bug swimming around.  I told the girls to hold on while I pushed him toward the filter.  Keeley said, "WAIT!!  We need to rescue him."  She stepped in and told Kayden, "Kayden, I need your help. Get me the shark thing."  Kayden quickly complied and handed it to Keeley.  Keeeley scooped the bug up and got him out of the pool.  Both girls walked away from the pool and I started to get things situated for us to get in.

Later that night we were telling Kelly about it at dinner.  I was telling him about how Keeley wanted to rescue the bug and how Kayden had been her helper.  Kayden was eating her pasta and, without even looking up, said, "and then I put him in the filter."  Keeley said, "What?  How did you do that?" To which Kayden responded, "with my hand".  Keeley, horrified expression firmly in place said, "Why?"  Now, the obvious question here is "why did you put the bug we just rescued into the filter?"  Kayden, however, interpreted it as, "Why did you use your hand?"  She responded, again without even pausing from dinner, "because I couldn't with my foot."

I started laughing so hard at the entire scene - Keeley horrified and Kayden so unemotional in her retelling that she couldn't even be bothered to stop eating - that I started to cry.  I hadn't seen any of that transpire when were at the pool.  The girls got out of the water (ie: safe) and I thought they put the bug in the grass.  I guess Keeley thought the bug was safe too.  Poor Keeley.  Traumatized at meal time because we eat meat and now she knows that her mom and sister are both bug killers.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Keeley!! She is trying so hard to "Save the World" inspite of you all.=)

    ReplyDelete