Friday, September 23, 2011

Zinnias and "extra"

When we went to Disney World this year we were given seed packets at Epcot.  They claimed to be zinnias.  The girls were excited about them and I held on to them.  We waited until the packet said to plant them, got set, and started dropping these "seeds" into the holes the girls dug.  I didn't put a ton of effort into it because 1. I didn't even know what a zinnia was and 2. I thought the chances of us growing something from seed was not good.  I can't even keep plants alive most of the time.

Anyway, we planted them and watered them a couple of times.  And then they started growing.  And growing. And growing.  I still didn't know what a zinnia was but I was quite certain that I didn't know of any flower other than a sunflower that grew this tall!!!


They are almost as tall as me!
Grandma came over the other day and showed the girls how you can get the zinnia seeds from the flowers and have more to plant next year.  Today the girls decided that was their mission.






They worked for a long time this morning and brother hung out on a blanket nearby with me.

So smiley!

LOVES to stick his tongue out!

So much to love on!!

Even around his toes...
Later in the afternoon, they set up a "desk" and continued to prepare their seeds.  We are going to have hundreds of zinnias next year.  You may not be able to see our house!

Working in her heels.  I have finally convinced her it is not safe to run in them.  She'll say, "Hold on!  I shouldn't run in high heels!"
While the girls worked, Killian and I snuggled on the porch. There is lots of him to snuggle ;-)












No comments:

Post a Comment