Thursday, December 23, 2010

Fixing the nose

Kayden's surgery went well this morning.  We got there, filled out paper work and were whisked away to be prepped. We literally sat down and the anesthesiologist showed up with the versed (love that stuff).  Just as she was finishing it, the doctor showed up and took her away.  My only complaint was she wasn't quite drugged enough to not be sad when they took her away.  She stuck out a big pouty lip and reached for me but didn't cry. I went to the waiting room and just had time to text Kelly that they'd taken her back when the surgeon came out to tell me she was done.  He said she did great and that it was the tiniest splint he'd ever put on a kid because her nose is just so tiny.  He "popped" the nose back in place and smoothed it out with his fingers...not too technical sounding to me!  It had started to heal a little so he said there was a bit of a bone callous there that I could feel and he thought it would be fine.  We go back in a week for a check up and to take the splint off it curious 2.5 year old fingers haven't already done that.

I had to wait a few more minutes for her to wake up and for them to come get me.  As we walked back to recovery, I asked if she was angry.  They said no, that she was sweet as could be.  She was sitting in a nurse's lap with a pink popsicle just cuddling until she saw me and reached for me.  We sat on the bed and cuddled  some more when she told me she wanted to save her popsicle for home.  The nurse said that she could have another and they could even find another pink one.  I asked if she'd told the nurse that pink was her favorite color and the nurse said, "I took her back to the freezer and I wasn't even sure she was awake enough to be listening but I asked if she knew what color she should have.  She said 'pink' before I even got to list the options!"

Before they let us leave, they got her to drink some juice and have some animal crackers.  She was able to talk the nurse into letting her have an extra popsicle and juice for home.  The nurse said she should go home and sleep for a couple hours because she still had the anesthesia and versed in her system.  I thought that might actually happen because she couldn't even hold herself upright as we walked out.  However, we got outside and she saw the sun was coming up.  She said, "It's morning." I said, "It is still early, we can go home and snuggle in bed."  She said, "You can rest but I'll be playing."  This was not exactly what happened when we got home though because she was still too drugged to walk!  She fell a few times and then decided to sit on the couch and watch cartoons for a bit.  Maybe we'll get a nap today.  Maybe.

In the car.  I know there are animal crackers in her mouth but I wanted to get the splint before she picked it off!

Snuggling with Mom on the couch because her legs are still too unstable to stand.  She'd already fallen 3 times before she gave in to snuggling.


The splint is supposed to stay on for a week.  We'll see.  She's already started pulling at the steri strips and we aren't even 5 hours from surgery time yet....

No comments:

Post a Comment