Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Spirited

That is the word that her teacher used to describe her today.  As in, "She's been, um, very, (long pause) spirited today."  I think that is an excellent description of Kayden.  She lives life to the fullest, is undeterred by most set backs, views any size obstacle as a challenge, and pretty much follows her own beat.

Yesterday during our "nap" time, I walked back past her room to find her naked and a wet diaper on the floor in the hallway.  I said, "let's put on a fresh diaper." She replied, "No, I don't like diapers.  Only panties."  I let it go because we only had about 20 minutes before we had to get ready to leave anyway.  As we were getting ready to leave, I encouraged her to wear a diaper (she's not potty trained).  And she said no, that she only wanted to wear panties.  I then said that was fine but that if she was going to wear panties, she had to sit on the potty.  Her response?  "I don't like to sit on the potty.  I'll just wear panties."

Great. As we are leaving to go to two doctor's appointments in a row she decides to start potty training but only doing half of it.  I gathered all the extra clothes and we headed out.  Two and a half hours later we returned home and she had refused to sit on the potty twice (once at each doctor) even when Keeley and I both did but she also hadn't had an accident.  They sat down for a snack and then started to play in the playroom while I switched some laundry.  Suddenly I heard, "TINKLES!" So I ran to get her and she was very upset that she was wet.  We got her clothes off and had her sit on the potty and she said, "No, I don't want to go on the potty."  I finally convinced her to sit there for a few minutes, got her in dry clothes, and then asked her to help me clean up.  She took me to where the accident was.  Most kids would have an accident on the floor or in a chair.  Kayden is not most kids.  Apparently she had been climbing from the windowsill onto our play kitchen (which she isn't supposed to be doing...) so all the tinkle got into the sink (which really upset Keeley).

Today, she changed out of her nighttime diaper at 6:15 and didn't go or have an accident until 12:15 - despite sitting on the potty five times.  I fully understand that potty training is a control issue and that she is a child that likes to have control.  That is the entire reason I haven't brought up potty training at all.  She finally decides she wants to and then she STILL has to figure out a way to make it be a control issue.

I swear this child is going to make me grey before she turns three.  I picked her up from school today and, while we were waiting for Keeley, brushed the hair off her forehead.  I noticed that huge scratch on her head and asked her what happened.  She said, "I fell down in the garden".  When I asked if the teachers did anything, she said "No, I didn't cry, I just kept playing with Lily."  I hopped out of the car to ask the teachers about it and they had no idea.  Look at her poor face!  Can we not get over one set of injuries before getting more?

No comments:

Post a Comment