Saturday, December 11, 2010

Tragedy at the Tree Farm

 Saturday morning Kelly and I took the girls up to a tree farm to look at some trees for our backyard.  Shortly after arriving, Keeley decided she needed to go to the bathroom and, of course, Kayden needed to follow.  We got finished and were getting back outside to catch up with Kelly and the man from the farm.  Kayden said, "I'm a little chilly" and I turned around to watch her putting her hands in her pockets.  She got them situated and I could tell she wasn't going to ask to have her jacket zipped up so I turned back around.  I had not even taken three steps when I heard the cries.  My girls do not suffer in silence and there is lots of crying at our house.  Crying from being upset/scared/frustrated that things didn't go like they were planning...and then there is crying because they are truly injured.  That cry resonates differently with moms and I was scared to turn around and see what she'd done.  When I turned around, she was face down on the rock walk way, hands still in her pocket.  I'm not sure if she tripped or just lost her footing and fell down.  What I do know is that she took the entire fall on her face because her hands were in her pockets.

I scooped her up without even looking at what was wrong and started back to the car where we could assess out of the wind.  We got in the car and I put her in my lap facing me, thrilled to noticed that her eyes looked fine and her mouth was not bleeding.  Her nose and forehead were a different story.

As I held her, she kept saying, "I want to go home.  I want to go home."  We found Kelly and headed home.  My plan was to get some medicine on the way home for her because she seemed to be in so much pain, but she fell asleep within minutes of getting on the highway.  We called the pediatrician and emailed a picture to Aunt Pat (a pediatrician) to see if we should do something about the nose in case it was broken and they said there wasn't anything to do at that point because it would still be too swollen.

Yesterday, her nose started to bleed a little bit again and so I called the ENT  - who wants to see her.  Please pray for no broken nose.  I've heard that you have to put kids under to fix them at this age.
Still pretty swollen and bruised up on Monday afternoon.
I feel so bad for her.  She's a dare devil and incurs plenty of injuries because of that, but she was just trying to catch up with big sister when this happened :-(

Update:  The ENT on Tuesday told us that it is broken.  Unfortunately, it is still too swollen to make any for sure decisions.  We go back on Monday (9 days after the incident) to assess if it has healed on its own okay or if we need to fix it.  It will be a surgical procedure that we will have done on Tuesday or Thursday next week because we only have 14 days to fix it.  Poor thing.  Yucky way to spend the week before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment