Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sign Language

When the girls were little, we taught them a handful of sign language motions.  Actually, we tried to teach Keeley quite a few and realized that overwhelmed everyone so we stuck to the basics for Kayden. The signs we used frequently at home were: milk, more, eat, all done, change, and sleep (obviously Mom and Dad used the last one because neither girl ever acknowledged their need for sleep when they were younger).

Driving back from an errand on Wednesday morning with all the kiddos I was talking to the girls about the signs.  Killian was crying because he needed a nap and we were talking about how babies can't talk so they cry. I told the girls how babies can start using signs before they can talk to help us.  Then I explained that we used signs with them when they were younger too.  The girls were fascinated.  When we got home I showed them each sign we had used when they were babies.

Later that evening at that horrible between snack and dinner time (which is made worse since they don't nap...) they kept asking for more snacks.  I kept telling them no and that dinner would be ready soon.  It got very quiet and I looked over at Keeley having a secret conversation with Kayden at the dinner table.  Then they both looked at me with big smiles and Keeley made the sign for eat.

I commended her for her creative thinking but told her that the answer was still no!  They tried again tonight.  Good thing I didn't give in yesterday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment