Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sensory Overload

Kayden has always been a child to want to experience life. It is not enough for us to warn her or for her to tell her to stop, she needs to physically get hurt before she'll stop - and even then, it is only for a minute. She has also always been very interested in knowing how things feel and taste. Already, we can tell that she is a very tactile learner.

This morning, the girls were outside playing while I got my breakfast ready. I could see them out the window and they were both happy and weren't climbing on anything too dangerous. All of the sudden, Keeley's sweet face appeared at the door. She opened it smiling and said "Kayden has dog poop on her hands. And I do too."

I glanced at her hands and didn't see anything, and then Kayden rounded the corner. Kayden didn't just have dog poop on her hands, she clearly had spent some time exploring its squishy properties. It looked as though she had been playing with play-doh. It was all over her hands. Keeley, upon closer inspection, did have a little on her hands. I told Keeley not to touch anything and grabbed both Kayden's hands as we all walked to the tub. She started to touch her face with her hand and I said "dog poop is yucky Kayden". Instead of putting her hand on her cheek, she decided she needed to see if it was really yucky so she put it in her mouth. Lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow - just the thought is giving me the heebie jeebies. ha!
    did she learn that poop doesn't taste very good? goodness I hope so! according to my Father I had to touch everything and taste everything as well. I turned out ok... right?

    how could she get passed the smell?! what the heck are you feeding your dogs - potpourri?
    (kidding.. heheh)

    seriously though - the smell! always an adventure in your household, you lucky woman ;-)

    ReplyDelete