Friday, December 26, 2008

Sleep

Sorry for the lack of posting, I've been busy not sleeping and preparing for the holidays and our trip to Cancun. I will post again soon. I have lots of kiddo updates and vacation updates.

I had no idea that sleep would be so elusive as a parent. I have read countless books, magazines, and on-line articles. Friends, doctors, family, and random strangers have all tried to help me sort through my children's lack of sleep. Some people almost convinced me that Kayden would be a better sleeper than Keeley because they said you can't have two that are so bad. Those people were wrong. I had almost convinced myself that I was the problem. That somehow I was not doing a good enough job teaching the kids to sleep. That theory has two major flaws in it:

1. Keeley sleeps 12 hours at night and takes a 2 hour nap everyday with no problems whatsoever now (even through sister's screaming)
2. Kelly and I were in Cancun for 4.5 days and Kayden's sleep pattern was identical for Mom as they have been for me.

Apparently it is just my kids. Naps are a fight until they only are taking one and sleep at night becomes HORRENDOUS around the time they learn to crawl. Keeley started sleeping well again when she learned to walk fairly well. I can only hope that Kayden does the same, and that she walks early.

You might be wondering why I am posting at near midnight. It would be because my youngest is not sleeping. She started "singing to herself" at 9:40. That escalated to fairly worked up crying by 10:05. I spent 15 minutes trying to calm her down and get her to sleep - didn't work at all. Kelly tried for 20 minutes with the same lack of success. We then let her cry for 30 minutes. Hard, frantic crying. So loud and sad that I had to go in the bathroom and turn the fan on to drown it out. Kelly went in again got her calmed down, supposedly sleeping. That lasted almost 5 minutes. I then went in again figuring I might as well try to feed her since she wakes up at 12 or 1 to eat anyway. She ate a little and then just wanted to pull my hair. At 11:40 she was still not asleep and I no longer thought it was fun to have my hair pulled so we came out here.

She is now cruising around the study just as happy as can be. She's talking, blowing raspberries, and banging things on the floor. At some point I suppose she will get tired. Even still, she's so very cute.


My daughter at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment