Monday, January 23, 2012

Quick on her feet

Kayden has always been quite observant and has always been quick to say things that surprise us.  Recently, she's become quite skilled at manipulating conversations to go her way. 

The other morning she and I were the only ones awake.  We were enjoying some quiet time together and I asked her what she'd like to have for breakfast.  During the week we normally eat cereal or toast.  Perhaps if I'm feeling like a bit more effort, I might make oatmeal.  I thought she would choose one of those things.  This is the conversation that followed:

Kayden: English muffin.
Me: I'm sorry but I don't think we have any of those.  That does sound really good though.
Kayden: Well, my teachers have them. How about french toast?  Please? (insert sweet smile here)
Me: Okay. (I really, really didn't want to make french toast but she was so sweet and I did have time since she woke up so early....)

While I was making the french toast brother and sister woke up and needed to be tended to.  I asked Keeley what she wanted (cereal) and set to work on Killian's breakfast.  I get everyone's plates on the table, baby strapped in to the high chair, and start to sit down.

Just as I am sitting Kayden says: I don't think I want french toast anymore.  I just want cereal.
Me: No.  You asked for french toast and I made it.  You will eat french toast.
Kayden: Well, I'm not going to eat it. (arms crossed, grumpy face).
Me: That's fine, but you aren't getting anything else and you will get hungry at school.
Kayden: (as she stands to clear her plate from the table) We have snacks at school.

----------------------------------
Yesterday we had allowed the girls to skip their quiet time to run a quick errand with me.  On the way home they were fighting over the number of Killian's toys they each had.  Kayden had three and Keeley only had one.  I don't know why they care or why they are so obsessed about his toys.  Keeley asked for one of the toys and Kayden said she could have one tomorrow but not today.  I sat in the front seat wishing I had left them home with Kelly...

Instantly upon the answer that she couldn't have any of the toys until tomorrow Keeley bursts into way over-dramatic tears and wails, "MOOOOOOOM, Kayden's not sharing Killian's toys.  She has three and I have one and she said I can't have one until tomorrow. And we have to have the same number."  I didn't get into the ridiculousness of any of that - he wasn't in the car, they are baby toys, why does it have to be equal....I simply shrugged and said, "Sounds like you girls aren't cooperating very well. I think we should have quiet time when we get home so you can have a break from each other."  I had barely finished speaking when Kayden pipes in with, "I'm just trying to decide which toy to give her (as she studies them).  I only told her I was going to make her wait until tomorrow to trick her."

Too smart for her own good.

2 comments:

  1. That was a GREAT 'Love and Logic' move on your part! Yahooooo! Noah is not quite to that stage where what I say works but he is learning these words really well, "Well, that sounds like that was a choice you made. Now it it is my turn to make a choice." The other day he said to me, "Momma, choice you made." and stomped away.
    He is also obsessed with Claire's toys and often rations one toy to her and 15 to himself. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete