Friday, June 6, 2008

Big Sister

Keeley is obsessed with Kayden. The other day I went in to get her up after her nap and asked her if she wanted to go see Dad or eat lunch. She said "ba" for baby so we went to see Kayden. Kayden will definitely be baby that can nurse through distraction because Keeley frequently spends Kayden's meal times "kissing" and "stroking" her head. Having a child that can nurse during distractions will be a first for me as Keeley wouldn't allow any talking while she nursed. ANY talking. That didn't mean from me, that meant from anyone around. She would pull off and look around until the talking stopped. This made for one very awkward road trip with Dave and Cara when Keeley was 3 months old. We were stopped for close to half an hour on the side of the road in pouring rain while Keeley ate. Four adults sitting in a car silent for 30 minutes while a baby nurses is a bit uncomfortable...

Anyway, Keeley is being a very sweet big sister. She's even trying to teach Kayden the arts of talking on the phone and reading.

Giving her the book and phone

Signing "more" when Kayden doesn't do anything with the gifts Keeley has shared

The phone repositioned by Keeley - as though that would help!

I've been surprised at how well Keeley is adapting to sharing me. I realize this will come in spurts, but for now (in my sleep deprived state) it is nice to not have to fight that battle. Last night we put her down early because we are AGAIN waking up between 4:45 and 5:30 on a regular basis - STUPID teeth. Anyway, after 30 minutes, she just started screaming. I went in there and she just wanted to cuddle. So, I restarted her music and rocked with her in her chair while she calmly cuddled with me. After a few minutes, she started talking. This is usually not a good sign as it means she's getting herself worked up. Last night, however, it seemed she was just talking to herself. It was very cute. She was just practicing her words. She started with "mama" and "dada" and some other common ones. Then she moved on to the ones she is working on right now like "ark" and "walk". She was just quietly repeating them to herself. So very, very cute. After about 30 minutes, I walked to her crib to lay her down. She squeezed my neck, patted my shoulder, and then let go.

Having a newborn and an almost 15 month old makes me really realize how quickly time goes by. I'm trying my absolute best to treasure all these minutes...even then ones that make me want to scream. I know it will not be long before I am looking back wondering how it is that my two babies are already in college. It will be then that I might truly miss the endless cuddling and clinging to my legs....

1 comment:

  1. Awww...the pics are very cute. And, I'm glad Big Sister is being so patient. You lucky mama!

    ReplyDelete