Sunday, June 1, 2008

Beautiful Girl #2

At 6:29 pm on Wednesday, May 28, Kayden Stephanie Culhane entered the world. For all you stats people, she weighed 8 lbs 7.2 oz and was 20 3/4 inches long. That is the exact same length as Keeley was and 3 oz lighter. That 3 oz must make a huge difference because she seems a MILLION times tinier. I suppose this could be because Keeley seems so grown-up now!

Here are some highlights of the event:





Our story if you are interested...it is long but will prevent me from repeating details a million times :-) :

Kelly and I checked into the hospital at 5 am Wednesday morning to have Kayden induced. Everyone said your second labor should go faster. I had high hopes for meeting Kayden by lunch. Unfortunately, she had created quite a swimming pool in me which prevented me from progressing. So, even though I was having contractions 2 minutes apart most of the day, nothing happened until they broke my water. Wednesday was apparently a bad day to be at the L&D ward because there were two code blues, an emergency c-section, and a woman that arrived on an ambulance just about ready to deliver. Needless to say, Kayden and I were a little lower on the priority scale than all those people! My doctor, whom I love, also delivered 4 babies at two different hospitals and had several patients who were being monitored for pre-term labor...all of which delayed meeting my sweet little girl.

Because the anesthesiologist was so busy, my epidural was delayed much longer than I wanted it to be. In the process, the nurse gave me some IV medicine...nubane or something. I only got half the dose but that was all I needed. Drugs are our friends. I quickly fell asleep and slept for a long time!

Finally, at 4:30 (almost 12 hours since we checked in...), the doctor arrived to break my water (a decision that was deemed necessary at 10 that morning). She confirmed that I had a swimming pool that Kayden was enjoying and assured me that things would progress much faster now that she had less room. I asked how much faster and she said that they expect second labors to progress 1 cm an hour. That was NOT what I wanted to hear. I was only at 4cm...I had no desire to spend 6 more hours waiting to meet Kayden!

At 6:15, I called the nurse to tell her I thought it was close. The doctor entered the room and the nurse began to prepare the room for delivery. The actual delivery started about 6:25 and she was here at 6:29. So, I suppose she was even faster than Keeley once she decided to come into the world!

We are all doing quite well - just VERY, very tired. "Sleep when the baby sleeps" only applies to one parent per child. Kelly and I are sneaking naps in while we can. I will update our picasa photo page as we get more pictures.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the story! I love hearing everyone's birth experience! That picture of you hugging Keeley is sooo cute! You look so happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! You've got two beautiful girls! And Kerri, you look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just amazing! My favorite was the look Keeley gave your Mom and Kayden, like "What the crap are you thinking?!?" Congratulations and I'm sending you lots of love and wishes of sleep! :) I can't wait to meet her and play with Keeley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're family is beautiful!! My favorite pic is the one of Kelly kissing your forehead. That is so sweet! Congrats on all the hard work, and I am sending your girls simultaneous sleep vibes!

    Love you and see you Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea Kayden! I love the pictures you posted:-) Can't wait to see her again this Thursday!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete