Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Blessings times 2

Most of you know that Keeley had a host of issues as an infant. Included in these were reflux and colic. Keeley screamed the majority of the day (all 24 hours...not just the waking part) regardless of what we did. Everything worked a little, nothing worked consistently or for long. When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. I did countless hours of reading and talking to people about things to do to help my daughter. Everyone said that it would get better at 3 months. Everyone was wrong. It wasn't until somewhere between 4 and 5 months that the screaming subsided. One month may not sound like a lot to someone that doesn't endure excessive screaming for the majority of the day, but, to me, it felt like an eternity. It didn't matter how many people told me that it would get better, all I could see was crying and screaming lasting until she went to college.

Fortunately for everyone, it did end. It was a gradual process but around 8 months, Keeley turned into a very happy, albeit still high need and intense, child. My "eternity" of crying was really only short season in my life.

When people kept telling me that Kayden would be easier, I felt they were jinxing me. However, she appeared to be easier - until this weekend when the screaming started. I asked my mom if all people's babies cry like mine do and I just don't cope well. She said that other babies cry - mine scream. There is a significant difference in that. We went to the doctor on Monday and got some medicine for reflux. At that point, I thought we might just be dealing with reflux and that would be manageable. However, as the week has progressed, I feel we are dealing with colic as the screaming periods get longer, more inconsolable, and more frequent. Now, I will say, thus far, Kayden does not cry nearly as much as Keeley did. So, we could just be dealing with a fussy baby or a less intense form of colic - either of which would be fine with me.

However, regardless of the intensity and duration, I've started to prepare my mind. This preparation includes plans to shower while Kelly is still home because, as it is, it is 12 and I have still not showered and honestly don't see that happening until Mom comes this afternoon. When I put Kayden down, she screams and that upsets Keeley, and that upsets me....a bad cycle. When Mom is unhappy, everyone is unhappy. I've also planned to get more frozen meals and to accept the fact that Kayden is happiest in the wrap so I will just wear her before the fussing and screaming starts in an attempt to prevent it. I've also started to think of all the blessings in having a colicky/high need baby. For my own mental health, and for those of you that experience this first hand, I have made a list:

1. I get to intimately know my children and form an intense bond with them. Both of them have responded well to being in the Moby Wrap (have I mentioned this as the best invention ever) and that has caused me to wear them probably 8-10 hours a day. When you have a child strapped to you, you get to know them VERY well. I think this is one reason Keeley and I have such a great bond.

2. Losing baby weight will be easier. Kayden already weighs 10 1/2 pounds and Keeley is about 21. Wearing Kayden and carrying Keeley is a lot of weight to carry. That has to help me get rid of some of my baby weight.

3. Advanced vocalization. Keeley started talking early and talks a lot now. I think some of this has to do with the fact that she was so in tune with my conversation for such a HUGE portion of the day for the first year of her life.

4. Pretty heads and happier tummy time. When babies are under 4 months, they have to be worn facing your chest. Wearing all the time means less time in a crib or infant seat which means less time on their backs. This will hopefully mean less flat head possibilities. Being in the wrap makes them want to lift their heads more which should help with tummy time.

5. Creativity. You have to be creative to figure out ways to cope and help your children deal with their discomfort. I'm keeping my mind sharp :-)

6. Exposure to less germs/baby touchers. Because neither of my girls have been terribly content to be in their car seats as infants, I wear them in the sling when I'm out and shopping or running errands. There are few people that are going to put their hands on the baby's head when it is just inches from my mouth and hidden beneath the wrap. Less baby touchers = less germ exposure.

That is my list for now...I will add to it as I think of more things.

1 comment:

  1. Good job keeping positive:)!
    Praying for calmer times:).
    Love you,
    aim

    ReplyDelete