Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tough day

Today we had Keeley's 15 month appointment. Kayden, Keeley, and I went by ourselves. In my head, this arrangement was fine. We had an early appointment which meant we wouldn't have to wait and Kayden falls asleep in the car and then stays asleep in her car seat for a good 30 mintues at least once the seat is moved. She does that every day but today. Today, she chose to wake up as soon as we got to the office. So, instead of having one sleeping child and one at the appointment, I had two girls under 2 awake for the appointment.

This wouldn't have been a problem except for two things:
1. Keeley HATES her appointments so she needs lots of attention. She cried and screamed starting the moment the stethoscope came out. When she finally got her shots, the intensity increased and went on for a long time. For so long, in fact, that the nurse came back in and said "do you think this sticker or a lollipop might help her calm down?"

2. Kayden is more alert now and has certainly found her voice. She insists on being held most of the time - or you pay the price of her screaming (I'm not exaggerating. It is screaming and not crying). I've decided this is a blessing because it prevents me from ignoring her. Ignoring her might be easy if she were a quiet, complacent child because Keeley keeps us on our toes. Also, she has been particularly fussy today.

So, what I basically had was two crying/screaming girls. Fortunately, our appointment was early and there were plenty of nurses free to hold Kayden so I could focus on Keeley. Needless to say, the rest of the day was long for everyone. Keeley didn't feel good from her shots or the teeth she is cutting. By the way, the molars are nothing compared to these eye teeth. Anyway, Keeley was pretty uncomfortable and definitely needed Mom. Kayden was uncomfortable and needed Mom. Unfortunately, there is only one Mom and neither of them really understand that. I essentially begged Kelly to come home early. I didn't really need him for me, but because I felt so bad for the girls. When he got home, being the wonderful husband and Dad that he is, he let me leave and run some errands. Keeley cried for 10 minutes after I left. Look at how miserable she is! Drama queen maybe?
When I got home, we played and ate dinner. I was feeding Kayden when Keeley needed to start her bath but I told Kelly I wanted to put her down. I enjoy our nighttime routine and had missed it the night before because I was feeding Kayden. As soon as they got out of the bath, I took Kayden to him and got Keeley ready for bed. I settled into our chair with her and reached for her brush. She began frantically waving her arms, making the ugly face, and saying "eeh, ehhh". So, I put the brush down. Then I picked the book up that we read every single night and got the same reaction. I asked if she just wanted to go to bed and she nodded emphatically and said "ya" with a huge smile on her face. I didn't even get to sing our songs! Where did my baby go?!?!? In fact, where did my babies go?! Kayden is almost a month and Keeley doesn't want to have her nighttime cuddles. Time is going by WAY too fast for me!!

From our walk Monday night...
Keeley wanted to push, not ride in her car.

Kayden in my wrap with the hat that Keeley insisted she wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment