Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

This year Father's Day has been a little tougher than most. This is the first "event" or "holiday" since Daddy died that I am really struggling with. I thought Keeley's birthday or Kayden's birth would be hard - and they were. Today is just proving to be harder.

Dad was such an amazing father and the sweetest "Poppy" to my girls that I could have ever imagined. I say "to my girls" even though Daddy died before Kayden was born. I know that Keeley and Dad had a special bond. Right up until the very end, the last few hours before his death, Daddy recognized Keeley and Keeley was not afraid to go to him. While Kayden and Daddy never met on earth, I know they spent the last part of my pregnancy together in heaven and that he talks to her now. Sometimes, when I catch her staring off at a blank wall, I ask her if she's talking to her Poppy and she just smiles at me - almost a smirk.

I know that Daddy and PawPaw (my grandfather) are smiling down at us today. They have to be. They have to be so proud. As much as I miss them, I am just as equally filled with happiness that my girls have a great Daddy too. This Father's Day, while I miss my Dad, I also get to celebrate that my husband is now the wonderful Daddy that he is - to two beautiful girls. What a Father's Day blessing!

Today, Keeley is 15 months old. Some of the cutest things she does are cover her mouth when she thinks something is funny, walk backwards, and say "ya" with head nodding (yes) or "doh" with arms wildly waving in front of her (no). She is also adorable about asking for help - "elp." The request for help also comes with head nodding. There is a lot of head nodding and arm waving that happens every day as she is becoming more and more independent and willful. (I know...some of you are wondering how that is even possible...).

She also has learned to modify her sign for "more". The sign requires two hands. Sometimes, Keeley has something in her hands and doesn't want to put it down. In these instances, she will use the free hand in the correct hand shape and just tap it to her chest instead of to her other hand. Pretty ingenious if you ask me!

After playing in the yard with Oma and the dogs. She insisted on wearing her hat.


Enjoying the swing we got back out for Kayden. Keeley was NOT a fan of it when she was little and crying all the time. Why she is interested in it now and insisted on having her duck, baby, and puppy (with his sunglasses) in it with her is beyond me. Also, Oma is a softy and let her have her paci...she usually is not allowed to have it but she knows how to tug on those heart strings of Oma's!

Kayden is just 2.5 weeks old and certainly makes us complete. She is developing her own little personality already. She smiles frequently and cries very little. She is a HUGE cuddle bug and is happiest in her moby wrap.

After a bath.

Sweet girl!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're having a hard time. But, they're definitely watching over you, Kelly and the girls. My grandpa still watches over me (I know because sometimes he's a joker!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daddy was an awesome man, and I know he is watching over you and your beautifuly family. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post Kerri. You're a strong woman-of course I've known that about you all along. I love you!

    ReplyDelete